The combination of several cheeses make this a favorite! Layers of cheese, phyllo, and fresh cap mushrooms create a fabulous snack or party dish.
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound of fresh mushrooms, cleaned, chopped
- .4 pound (6.4 ounces) butter-flavored shortening (or margarine), melted
- .6 pound (9.6 ounces) of feta cheese, grated
- .8 pound (12.8 ounces) of graviera cheese, grated (subst. gruyere)
- .4 pound (6.4 ounces) of metsovone cheese, grated (subst. smoked gouda)
- .5 pound (8 ounces) of kasseri cheese, grated (subst. mild cheddar or halloumi)
- .4 pound (6.4 ounces) of fresh soft myzithra cheese, grated (subst. ricotta)
- 4 1/4 cups of whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 pound of country phyllo sheets, defrosted, at room temperature (8 sheets to the pound)
- freshly ground black pepper
Notes About the Recipe:
- You can also use thin sheets of phyllo to make this recipe. Simply divide the total quantity into four equal parts. When brushing the sheets with melted shortening, brush lightly since more sheets will add more shortening to the recipe.
- When spooning the cheese mixture into the pie, use a slotted spoon so that the solids are used in the pie itself. The remaining liquid will be used at the end.
Sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of shortening or margarine until mushrooms are softened and absorb the liquid.
In a bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, and pepper to taste. Add grated cheeses and mix until well combined.
Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
Brush baking pan with melted shortening, and unwrap and unfold phyllo dough.
Place two phyllo sheets in the pan – each one brushed well with melted shortening. Using a slotted spoon, add 1/3 of the cheese mixture, spreading evenly over the phyllo. Repeat layering with two more well-brushed phyllo sheets and 1/3 of the cheese mixture (using a slotted spoon). Add mushrooms and distribute evenly.
Add another two sheets of phyllo, brushed with shortening, and the remaining solid part of the cheese mixture (using a slotted spoon).
Top off with the final two pieces of phyllo, each sheet well brushed with shortening, and pour the liquid remaining from the cheese mixture evenly over the top.
Prick the top of the cheese pie in 2 or 3 places with a fork, and bake at 390°F (200°C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
Yield: serves 8 snack-sized, 16 to 20 appetizer bites