- 2 to 2/2 pounds goat meat (shoulder, bone in), preferably from a ewe, cut into stewing pieces
- 4 large red onions finely chopped
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Trim off the fat and rinse the meat.
2. In a large, wide pot, place the onions and meat with about 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, until all the liquid has boiled off, about 45 minutes.
3. Pour the olive oil into the pot, increase the heat to medium, and continue cooking the onions and meat, stirring, until the meat is browned, about 15 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper and add enough water to the pot to barely cover the meat. Cover and simmer until the meat is very tender and the onions are practically disintegrated, about 1 hour.