- 11⁄2 to 2 pounds fresh whiting, gutted and washed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped red onions
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
Makes 4 servings
1. Season the fish with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and add the onion. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the onion in the oil until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and half the lemon juice. Add 1/2 cup of the water. Cover and simmer the onion over very low heat until very soft, about 15 minutes.
2. Place the whiting on top of the onion in the pot. Add the remaining lemon juice and water. Cover and simmer over low heat until the fish are cooked, about 25 minutes. The sauce should be thick from the disintegrated onions and rich with the flavor of the fish. Remove from the heat and serve.