- 1 A Little Oil ( Olive )
- 1 Handful Olives ( Black )
- 500 mL Peas ( Yellow Split )
- 1 Pinch Pepper To taste
- 1 Pinch Salt To taste
- 1 Bunch Shallots Sliced
- 1250 mL Water
- Clean peas and place in a heavy stockpot with water.
- Bring to a boil and stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the peas to steep for one hour.
- Drain, then return to the pot with fresh water (just to cover) salt & pepper.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally until soft and most of the water is absorbed (about 1 hour).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- At this point, you can just put the peas in the fridge until you’re ready to use them, or pur?e them in a food processor processor (or through a ricer, as our local chef, Agyro does) It depends on the texture you want.
- The pur?e also becomes thicker under refrigeration.
- Mix with a little olive oil, minced onions, salt and pepper.
- Parsley or capers and black olives make a nice garnish.
- **May be enjoyed as a soup or an appetizer, just add more water for the desired consistancy.