- 1 kg chicken drumsticks (or 800g boneless breasts)
- 2 chopped onions
- 1-2 tbls oil
- 1 cup ground blanched almonds
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-1.5 tsp ground ginger
- fresh ground pepper
- 0.5 tsp pure saffron (threads) infused in 0.25 cup hot stock
- juice of 1-1.5 lemons
- Trim chicken pieces as necessary, pat dry.
- Heat oil in a pan (big enough to hold chicken in one layer).
- Lightly fry onions till soft, but do not allow them to colour.
- Add chicken pieces and slowly seal on all sides, again without browning.
- Place almonds in food processor, add hot stock and blend for approx. 2 minutes.
- Using a sieve, strain this almond milk over the chicken, pressing the almond residue to extract all the liquid.
- The almond milk should have the consistancy of thin cream; it will thicken during cooking.
- Add the ground ginger and saffron steeped in stock, together with a good grinding of pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 15min for breasts or 30min for drumsticks.
- Remove the lid and increase the heat to boil the sauce down to a thick, creamy consistancy.
- Add the juice of one lemon, taste and add more if necessary.
- The lemon flavour should be distinct but not overpowering.
- Check for seasoning and add a little salt if desired.