- 1 medium chicken, quartered
- 2 large red onions +1 clove garlic, roasted whole
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 500 g green onions, finely chopped
- 5 chicken livers, chopped and sauteed
- 2 tbsp black raisins
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup firm pomegranate seeds
- 150 g haloumi (traditional cheese from Cyprus), grilled and cubed
- Wrap the onions and garlic in foil without peeling.
- Roast in the oven until soft, and set aside.
- Whisk together the honey, vinegar, green onions, olive oil, salt, poppies, cumin, and coriander.
- Marinate the chicken in the mixture for 8-10 hours in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, peel the roasted onions and garlic and mash to a pulp.
- Put the chicken, livers, marinade, onion pulp, raisins, and pomegranate seeds in a deep ceramic dish, cover, and bake at 180 C for about 1,5 hours.
- If necessary add more vinegar.
- Add the cheese about 10 minutes before removing from the oven.
- Allow the dish to rest before serving garnished with more pomegranate, if desired.
if we are to follow Athenaeus’ recipe, the chicken should be finely chopped.