Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour, as needed
- 11⁄3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup warm water
- 2⁄3 pound kefalotyri or any hard yellow cheese,
- coarsely grated
1. Place 6 cups of the flour in a large bowl or basin and drizzle with the olive oil. Using your fingertips, work the oil into the dough until it becomes coarse and mealy.
2. Dissolve the baking soda in the water. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the soda mixture. Add the cheese and knead all together until a soft, smooth dough forms. Add a little more flour as you knead if dough is too sticky.
3. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Oil a large baking pan or sheet pan. Shape the dough into a large ball and spread it into the pan with your fingertips to form a circle about 15 inches in diameter. Make indentations in the surface as you go. Bake the cheese bread until golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and the pan and cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.