- 1 pack of Greek filo pastry
- 1/2 lb cream cheese
- 1 lb fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 lb fresh cottage cheese
- 1/2 a cup of melted unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- Powder cinnamon
- Powder sugar
Version # 1:
- Using a mixer beat the cream cheese at high speed until light and fluffy.
- Lower the speed and add the ricotta, cottage cheese, 1 1/2 tbsp of sugar, and nutmeg.
- Beat for 1 minute at high speed and set aside while you prepare the filo.
- Lay the filo flat on a table and keep covered with a damp towel over waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Using a medium size baking pan, butter the bottom and the sides.
- Lay 7-8 filo sheets in the baking pan to form the base, brushing the top of each sheet with melted butter as you stack them one on top of the other.
- Place your cheese filling in and spread it to go evenly over the base filo sheets.
- Fold the filo sheet that are hanging out of the pad over the cheese and brush with butter.
- Lay the remaining filo sheets on top, brushing each one with butter.
- Cut off the excess filo sheets hanging over the sides of the baking pan.
- Brush the top with butter and with a sharp knife, cut the top to any size serving squares you want.
- Bake in a 350 degree (see conversions) oven for 20-30 minutes or until the filo puffs up and turns a golden chestnut color.
- Cut at the point you already marked and serve hot.
- Before serving, sprinkle with powder sugar and powder cinnamon.
- Good luck and enjoy.
Version # 2:
- By stacking 4 sheets, form a base of 15 x 18 inches, brushing the top of each sheet with melted butter as you stack them.
- Then lay 2 sheets at right angles over the center, using the ‘base’ as a diamond, not a square, brushing the center of each with butter.
- Divide the filling into 3 parts and spread one part over the filo to form a 7-inch square.
- Set the rest of the filling aside.
- Fold the top filo sheet over the cheese and brush with butter and continue folding the filo over the cheese to make a square brushing each time with butter.
- With a wide spatula, lift the bougatsa and invert onto a cookie sheet.
- Brush the top with butter and set aside.
- Repeat with the remaining filo, filling until all 3 square pies are folded.
- Bake in a 350 degree (see conversions) oven for 20-30 minutes or until the filo puffs up and turns into a golden chestnut color.
- Cut into halves and sprinkle with powder sugar and powder cinnamon and serve hot.
- Bougatsa is a great dessert over a cup of coffee.