Tender black eyed peas are slow cooked and flavored with country sausage and Swiss chard. Serve with a warm crusty bread for a hearty and nutritious meal.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 6 – 8 servings
- 1 lb. dried black eyed peas
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups water
- 1 carrot, peeled and left whole
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 1 large onion, peeled and left whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 lb. country sausage, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- Juice of one lemon, strained
- 1 medium bunch Swiss chard, (leaves only) chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Quick Soaking Method:
Add beans plus enough water to cover beans by 2 inches to a pot. Add 2 tbsp. salt and stir. Bring beans to a rolling boil. Turn off heat, cover, and soak for an hour. Drain and rinse beans under cold water before using.
For the Soup:
Place the beans in a large soup pot with the chicken stock, water, carrot, garlic, onion, and bay leaf. Bring to a rolling boil then lower heat, cover, and simmer over low heat for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the beans are nicely tender but not mushy.
Remove the carrot, onion, garlic cloves, and bay leaf from the pot. Add the olive oil, parsley, sausage, lemon juice, and chopped chard to the pot and simmer over low heat another 30 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.