OMELETA ME SPARANGI (Peloponnesos)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt to taste
- 6 to 8 asparagus spears, woody bottoms trimmed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
Makes 4 to 6 servings
1. Heat a large, well-seasoned cast-iron or nonstick skillet for about a minute over high heat. Add the olive oil and sprinkle in a little salt. Add the asparagus, cover, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, shaking the skillet back and forth to make sure the asparagus cooks evenly, until wilted and lightly charred all around, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, break the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly with a fork or whisk, adding the flour, salt, and pepper. Pour the eggs over the asparagus and tilt the pan so that the eggs cover the whole surface of the skillet. Using a rubber spatula, push the coagulating egg toward the center of the pan and continue tilting so that all the loose egg can cook through and set. Cover and cook the omelet over low heat until the eggs are set but still loose. Slip the omelet out onto a large round plate and flip the omelet back into the skillet to cook for a minute or two on the other side. To serve, cut the omelet into pieces or wedges.