- 1-1 1/2 kg of leg of lamb
- 1 kg of medium size potatoes
- 1/2 a cup of melted butter
- 3/4 cup of olive oil
- 3-4 cloves of garlic ~ 1-1 1/2 fresh lemon juice (White wine can be used)
- 1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
Other vegetable may be used,Like; carrots, artichokes, onions, mushrooms
- Wash the meat and place in the middle of the pan (choose a big enough pan to fit the meat and vegetables.
- Cut the garlic cloves into 4 thin slivers.
- With a pointy knife make an ..X.. shape cuts on the meat approximately 1/2 inch long and 1/2 inch deep and in each cut insert the garlic slivers.
- Coat the leg with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste all over and sprinkle with oregano.
- Peel the potatoes, cut in half or in four (depending on how big they are), wash well and place in a big bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano and place in the pan around the meat. If using other vegetables add them as well.
- Add the remaining olive oil, melted butter, lemon juice and water in the pan.
- In the mean time have the oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours.
- Periodically take the pan out of the oven and turn the meat and the vegetables over so they cook and brown all over.
- If prefer, half an hour before is ready pour about 1/2 a glass of dry white wine over the meat and potatoes.
- When ready, place in a big platter, slice and serve.
- If any juice is left in the pan, can be turned into sauce and used over the meat and potatoes.
- The leg of lamb can be cooked all by it self and side dishes can be used, like mash potatoes with vegetables or anything else you wish.