LAGOTO TIS ARCADIAS
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, with bones, trimmed of
- fat and cut into stewing pieces
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small head garlic, cloves peeled
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
Makes 6 servings
1. Place the pork in a large pot with enough water to cover it. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, skimming the foam off the surface of the water, for 40 minutes. Drain, reserving the broth.
2. In the same pot, heat the olive oil and butter together over medium-high heat. Place the meat back in and brown on all sides. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste and enough of the reserved broth to almost cover the meat. Add the cinnamon stick, stir, cover, and simmer over low heat for another hour.
3. Meanwhile, using either a mortar and pestle or a food processor, work the garlic to a pulp with a little salt, slowly adding the vinegar and a little of the remaining broth. Pour this mixture into the pot, shake a little, and continue simmering the meat, uncovered, until almost all the pot juices are evaporated, another 20 minutes. There should not be more than about VS cup liquid left in the pot. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.