Kleftico (Can be made with Lamb or Beef)
1.5 kg Lamb in Chunks. Any piece will do but I prefer leg or shoulder
- Few bay leaves
- Little Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper (freshly ground pepper is nicer)
- Approx 2 glasses of water
Kleftico can be made in a terracotta pot, a large casserole dish with a tight fitting lid, or if neither of these are available tightly seal lid of pot with aluminium foil.
- Mix all ingredients except for the water and leave to marinate overnight.
- Next day, you can prepare this dish in two ways.
- Either,(1) Put all ingredients into the pot with the water.Or (2) Wrap each piece of meat individually with aluminium foil and a small piece of bay leaf, and then pour over the water.
- Now cover pot with a tight fitting lid or another layer of aluminium foil and make sure it is tightly sealed.
- Bake in a medium oven for 2 – 3 hours until tender. It is advisable to check the water about half way through to make sure it doesn’t go dry. The meat should fall off the bone when ready.
- Best Served with roast potatoes, or a rice or wheat pilaf, yogurt and salad; It’s also very nice with jacket potatoes.
- Note: Normally lamb is fatty so if you don’t like too much fat simply trim it off before cooking or choose leaner meat.