- 500 g chickpeas, skinned
- 1 onion, chopped
- cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- salt, pepper
- Soak the chickpeas in salted water for 8 hours.
- Drain, rinse, and put in a pot with fresh water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and skim off the froth.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, and onions and a pinch of salt.
- Simmer untill chickpeas are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Add more water, if necessary, but there should be very little liquid left.
- Remove half the chickpeas and puree them in the food processor.
- Return the pulp to the pot, stir and simmer until heated through.
- Taste, and add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Either stir in the pomegranate seeds at the end or serve as a garnish.
- This dish can be also served as a soup.
- In this case piree only 1/4 of the chickpeas and use a little more water.